Yes I can tell my homeschooled child is different

18:28



Different yes.......thankfully he is different.  I don't want him to be "normal" by todays standards.

Part of why we choose to homeschool is so they develop their own character not just conform.  When people meet my son it's never " oh he's socially awkward" or "that kid is definitely homeschooled "

However I do personally notice he's different from other kids.  I have no issue admitting this.  He is in many extra curricular activities not just activities with homeschooled children.

Here are a few reasons I can tell my kid is different.

1)  Confident - there is no question he does not lack confidence.  I feel this is something that can be destroyed unfortunately in the wrong situations.  I am able to nourish his confidence.  Continuing to build him up each day.  This doesn't mean I build his ego when it's not deserved.  I'm sure to tell him when something isn't done well.  However when he does accomplish something well I am sure to acknowledge it.  It doesn't go un-noticed.  This is preparing them to enter adulthood with the confidence to continue on that path.

2)  Social - This is where I always have a good laugh.  Many people have a typical stereotype that homeschool children are anti-social.  I actually find it's nearly opposite.  These kids interact with all different age groups so are able to adapt to most social settings.  I witnessed my kid leave one of his weekly classes saying "see you all next week!"  they all looked at him like he was odd.  WHAT.  It was odd that he was being kind.  Another mom leaned over and said "wow is he ever sweet".  I thought this was normal.  I guess not.

3)  Life Skills - Yes we are very focused on book smarts.  So before you judge we do focus on ensuring we cover all required curriculum if not extra.  However we also have time and energy to focus on life skills.  I didn't really notice this until I noticed my kids having manners.  This is something we drill into them every day.  However I couldn't imagine how challenging this would be if I only saw them a couple hours each evening and on weekends.  I don't even ask my son, but he ensures he holds open doors for people.  Some look at me in such awe because he's being kind.  However there are the odd people who look at me wondering why such a little man is holding open a door.


Now before anyone thinks I am biased that only homeschooling creates these differences please understand that is not what I am trying to get across.  I am just noting that I do see my child as different but I'm appreciative of different.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

More about me

I'm also a photographer! Check out my work at

Let's be Social

Popular Posts