How I budget and meal plan....saving our family HUGE money.

13:31

Now first off I want to say to all you moms who work out of the home what a challenge you really have for saving money and meal planning because I feel like it’s nearly a full time job.

We have been clean eating for nearly 3 years, that means literally little to no processed foods.  This isn’t simple but since we made the choice we have all felt better, had more energy, and rarely sick.  Now as a homeschool family I feel like I spend mainly all my day in the kitchen. One meal is done and then they are requesting a snack.

We are also a gluten feee family and as much organic as possible. We do have a budget and I try my best to stick to it. Currently our budget is $600 a month for a family of 5.  Many of my friends say "yeah right....you have got to teach me your secrets".  I also have many moms reaching out asking for help meal planning and grocery shopping.

So I felt I would try to share my tricks.



  1. I am aware of prices EVERYWHERE.  I know what is a good deal and what isn't.  I stay away from purchasing things just because we want them and stock up on things when they are on sale.  I know the price of butter at Costco is nearly half the price of Superstore so I make sure to only purchase items where they are the least amount of money.
  2. Download the app "PC Optimum" I do majority of my shop at Superstore every two weeks and I am sure to spend the minimum to get the promotion.  Eg. Spend $250 get 25,000 points which is equivalent to $25.00.  Also I am careful to watch the days the new flier comes out and sometimes I go shopping on the Thursday if the offer suits our family better or wait until the new flier comes out on Friday.  Also if for example the deal is "processed frozen chicken strips"  I advise them we have a gluten allergy and they usually always give me the points equivalent.  Also in order to use the APP to the best of your ability.  Each week you must "don't show again" to items you don't purchase.  This can take a good month of each week loading your offers and getting rid of the garbage or saving the items if you regularly use them and just don't need them till next week.  Eg.  Originally when I signed up they gave me garbage foods like pringles chips and granola bars.  Now it's all produce, organic, and gluten free items so my points add up really quickly.
  3. Download the app "Buy me a pie" this is my shopping list app.  This helps me to always have an ongoing list on my phone.  I am also able to create multiple shopping lists Eg. Superstore, Costco, and Bulk Barn.  This keeps me very organized and literally as I am cooking and I run out of something I quickly add it to the list immediately.

Now here are some of my money saving items that I have found to be substantially cheaper at the following stores.  These are also our gluten free go too items.

Superstore

- Robin Hood Gluten Free Flour (this is incredible if you want to replace cup for cup and not have a bunch of recipe fails and it's the closest I have found to a simple all purpose flour.  We use this to make all our baking, pancakes, and in any recipe that calls for flour.
- pad thai rice noodles
- VH Soy Sauce (actually has no wheat and is $2)

Costco

- butter 
- Maple Syrup
- Parmesan Cheese 
- Gluten Free crackers
- Gluten free ramen noodles
- Gluten Free Bread (Little Northern Bakehouse) SERIOUSLY GREAT!
- Organic Eggs

Bulk Barn

- Gluten Free Oats (Only Oats)
- Hemp Protein Powder ($13.99 compared to $20.99 at superstore)


Now when it comes to meal planning we always work with what was on sale that week.  I'm always stocking the freezer when I purchase meat on sale.  

Meal Ideas on a typical week.

Whole Organic Chicken (I throw it in the slow cooker in the morning) w/ Caesar salad.  We also don't purchase croutons or bacon bits.  It's really easy to make gluten free croutons from bread (takes 5 minutes).  Also so much better than a bagged Caesar salad. Then I take the left overs and shred it and make Chicken Salad with gluten free crackers for lunch the next day.

Chicken Salad
- shredded chicken
- red onion
- celery
- raisins
- mayo
- mustard
- salt/pepper to taste.

Peanut Butter Smoothie - this is my go to every weekday morning and makes my life easier and keeps me going till lunch.  I shockingly don't get sick of it and everyone I share it with is over the moon about it.

1 - whole frozen banana (I will purchase very ripe organic bananas at superstore for 30%off) then I come home and peel them and dice them into chunks and put them in a freezer bag.  I like the bananas frozen as I don't have to add ice.
1 - tbs of natural peanut butter
1/2 of plain 3.5% yogurt
1/2 spinach
1 - cup of almond milk
*optional 1/4 of an avocado (makes is really creamy)

Raw Veggies - I always have a fridge full of raw veggies so when my kids are "starving which seems to be always" they can grab some cucumber or carrot sticks.  We also do simple lunches when we are on the go.

Bento Box Lunches - I love the kids planet box bento boxes and this saves a lot of money instead of grabbing something on the go.  They are pricey but such great quality.  Worthwhile investment for sure.  I throw crackers, cheese, veggies and hummus in and we are good to go!

Hard Boiled Eggs - also a great go to for lunch or snack or even breakfast.  Dice them up and throw some salsa on top, or make egg salad.  We tend to do very little bread so our go to with chicken salad or egg salad is always crackers.

Banana Muffins - Gluten Free.  I find this recipe is really quick I just substitute the all purpose flour for Red Robin Gluten free and also substitute butter for Organic Coconut Oil if we are making them dairy free and then omit chocolate and add coconut.

Taco Bowls - I make these in the slow cooker and they are THE BOMB.  Honestly it's super easy and absolutely delish.  The Kids love them and you can add whatever you have in the fridge.  Here is the recipe.  Taco Bowls Recipe

Tuna Dip - I serve this with corn tortilla chips or crackers and it's my absolute go to especially when we are on the run.
1 - can of tuna
1/2 - cucumber
2 tbs - red onion
1/2 - red pepper
1/2 - yellow pepper
1/2 - can of corn
handful of chopped cilantro
spoonful of mayo
salt/pepper to taste

Spaghetti w/gluten free noodles or zoodles- I usually make a big batch of spaghetti sauce and freeze it so it's quick and easy when we have busy activity nights.

Beef & Broccoli on Gluten Free Ramen noodles - my hubby loves this and I'm sure to buy a decent steak or even stewing cubes on sale and freeze it.

BBQ Chicken w/greek salad - super simple and I prep the chicken with a simple seasoning and can prep the salad in the morning.

Shrimp Pad Thai - we love pad thai but when we eat it out it can get very expensive quickly.  Some simple tricks (VH makes a soy a sauce that is gluten free and only $2.00 at Superstore)  I purchase bean sprouts at a local market and they are always fresh and I don't have to purchase a huge amount.  This Pad Thai Recipe sauce is a simple go to.  Instead of $35.00 for the family it's more like $12.00.


Hopefully some of these tricks are helpful to you and your family.  Groceries get so expensive and sometimes it's really discouraging but I have been consciously shopping better for our family when we chose to go gluten free and organic.  When we made the decision I knew things would be more expensive so it just took planning better.












You Might Also Like

0 comments

More about me

I'm also a photographer! Check out my work at

Let's be Social

Popular Posts