Homeschooling works for us......I don't judge you so please don't judge me

18:50



If you homeschool you know what I am talking about.

The odd responses when someone asks if you homeschool.  "Wow! I could never do that I don't have the patience"  "Aren't you worried about socialization?"  "Are you a teacher?"  "Do you actually think you will do this forever?"

First off......I don't reply with things like "do you like your children?"  "do you want to nuture their character?"  "do you even know what they are learning in school right now?"

I'm a mother....first and foremost and there is no right or wrong way to be a mother.  Everyone is struggling to do what they feel is best for their children and their families.  So before you judge someone just realize something.....they are just a mom like you doing what's best for their family.

Now.  I am going to answer all the lovely questions I get asked when someone finds out we homeschool.

1)  Yes it does take a lot of patience and as my husband would say "I could never do what you do however am so grateful that you do homeschool our children".  Yes I have made the choice to give up some of my "me" time in order to raise my children.  Patience is a great asset when homeschooling.  However let's be honest.....and real, it's something we as parents all have to continually work on.  I do also feel like when you comment like "I could never do that!"  I don't really think you look at it at all avenues.  There is many different options.  Co-ops, partial school, or even online school.  I don't know how many of you mom's get your kids up in the morning, rushing out the door, and making lunches but I don't ask you how you do that.  Let's face it....it just works for your family.

2)  NO I'm not worried whatsoever about socialization.  Our homeschool community is great.  On average we are probably doing 3 activities each week with other homeschooled children.  As well as regular extra curriculars such as soccer, taekwondo, and music.  The best part is our children learn to socialize with adults and children of all ages.  I've found that my children are very well rounded and completely social.  You won't see my child look at a kid younger than them and roll their eyes.  We live in a neighborhood with a lot of retired people and at first I was a little nervous because our children would be wandering around and chatting.  I get told regularly by neighbors that they are an absolute joy in the neighborhood and are so incredible to talk to.

3) NO I am not a teacher (no I haven't gone to school to teach children)  but yes I'm a teacher to my own child.  I give teachers so much credit though.  They have to not only deal with children that are not their own all day every week, but they have to deal with many things parents should be dealing with.  I get to focus on their school yes, but also teach and raise them at the same time.  I get to ensure they have manners, compassion, as well as discipline them when needed.  Also how great is it that I get to learn everything again along side my children.

3)  YES I do hope to homeschool my children the whole way through however I am taking each day at a time.  I'm not unrealistic.  If we ever hit a point where it doesn't work for us then we will evaluate it then.  I also know I would NEVER just follow along and put them into public school, but that's a choice we would make as a family.  There is a lot of amazing resources and things along the way that we will absolutely take part in.

So before you judge...take a minute to realize we are all just mom's doing the best for our families.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

More about me

I'm also a photographer! Check out my work at

Let's be Social

Popular Posts